At first, you might not think of dog food when you hear of ingredients like mint, parsley and coconut oil but that is exactly what we have here. A nutritious meal that gives a breath refreshing mouthful in every bite. This recipe packs a punch with nutrition and natural breath-freshening elements. Let's unpack this recipe to understand why the ingredients selected will be good to incorporate into your dogs next meal.
Firstly, the new kid on the block - Buckwheat: what is buckwheat? My dog is gluten intolerant! Hold your leashes! Buckwheat isn’t wheat at all, it is a seed! Buckwheat is a wonderfully nutritious food for your dog with lots of fibre, lots of protein, low on the glycemic index and contains:
Regularly seen as a synthetic additive in store-bought dog munchies, but consider fresh Mint leaves: which are a great, natural breath freshener.
A favourite garnish of chefs past and present Parsley: plays a bigger role here and is high in chlorophyll, which aids in neutralising odour.
A health food gurus pantry favourite Augustine’s Approved Raw Coconut Oil: aids in digestion, boosting immunity, increasing energy, promoting lean body weight and can help in the fight against doggy breath by combating bacteria in their mouth.
A rising agent that will elevate your dog's breath, Bicarbonate of Soda: assists in the neutralising of acids in the mouth, in turn, helping to freshen breath.
There we have it, a quick rundown on some of the simple, everyday ingredients in this yummy bowl of Chomping Chow. Don’t forget to balance this meal with your pooch’s favourite plant-based kibble to ensure they get everything they need to be a thriving dog.
A powerhouse of nutrition with breath-freshening ingredients in every bite.
No one likes doggy breath but sometimes it is just a part of life. With bicarb soda, parsley, mint and even coconut oil your pooch will enjoy a breath refreshing meal. Give this Chomping Chow a try with one of your pooch's’ favourite kibbles to ensure a well-balanced diet.
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat groats
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Augustine Approved Certified Organic Raw Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
- Optional: Augustine Approved Vegan Superboost
- Start by adding the 2 cups of water to 1 cup of uncooked buckwheat groats and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer until buckwheat is tender approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse, drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine cooled buckwheat with the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Store leftovers in sealed containers and refrigerate for about 3-5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Note: This is not complete dog food, to ensure your dog is eating a well-balanced diet we recommend using a complete and balanced kibble as their main source of food.
We'd love to hear how you went. Leave your feedback below: